Marketing Checkpoint

Do Text Ads Work?

dswival

• 2 weeks later...

I am not happy with text ad results.  I think most people, when given a choice,  will pick a picture.  Also of interest, I wonder how long most people will watch a video?

Do you prefer this:   Grab THis New Mega Hits Program

Or this:   http://1profitring.com/125.gif

There are two ways to face the future. One way is
with apprehension; the other is with anticipation  .

A lot depends on the site. Where does your text link appear? is it in a bold color? Outlined? In a centralized position in the surf bar etc?  Or is it some think blue piece of text tucked under a banner ad?

Text ads, if they're at least noticeable can help to reinforce the message of the site you're promoting. An easy example would be when I promote our team. I could have a splash page, the banner (like the one you see in my signature here), and my text ad would be "You'll find us at the Top". Its not necessarily clicks that I'm after in that case.

Also, in some types of programs, safelists and text ad exchanges for example, text ads can be the bomb B)

Many TEs and Mailers will give you some x number of text ad credits every month as part of your membership. I have them set up at all sites where I get them and they eventually generate a new signup.

I noticed that at some sites the credits run out very quickly with a considerable amount of clicks while others have no clicks at all, I think it all depends on where the ads are positioned. You also have to be creative in writing the ads within the few characters allowed.

I treat them as a bonus, it is a good surprise whenever I get a signup from them :)

• 2 months later...

They're not a waste of time.  Expecting good marketing results when you don't use them consistently is.  Of course, it will depend on where your text ads are placed and who's providing them.  But we won't know unless we are tracking each ad.  I believe that they work; in fact in one resource that I use I'm actually getting better click through rates from the text ads than I am the banners!

• 1 month later...
Guest Paul Nulty

All ads work, The effectiveness of a certain type of ad will vary, If you have an opportunity to use text advertising, why not use it?, they may not be as effective as a banner in terms of click through rates, however people do actually click them.

Some sites offer free text ad credits as bonuses and part of package deals etc. It would be a shame not to make use of them if given the opportunity.

I think text ads are often not used with the best goal in mind. The goal, in my opinion, should be less about getting clicks, and more about reinforcing a brand name or a specific message (the text used here is important). Text ads should be used at the same time as you have the corresponding site/page in rotation (and banner if you have). I often build up a lot of text ads and then assign them all during a specific campaign

Guest Paul Nulty

I think text ads are often not used with the best goal in mind. The goal, in my opinion, should be less about getting clicks, and more about reinforcing a brand name or a specific message (the text used here is important). Text ads should be used at the same time as you have the corresponding site/page in rotation (and banner if you have). I often build up a lot of text ads and then assign them all during a specific campaign

That's a great strategy to use, "reinforcing a brand name or a specific message" is a good way to use Text Ads, wording is important, ie: your business brand name, your own name or website name or the name of the campaign you are running. I like your view on text ads.

Guest Paul Nulty

I almost forgot to say... PTC text ads usually always have a high click through rate, the only thing is... most people can't wait to move on to the next click for the next penny. Some PTC sites don't offer much and others do. I don't use PTC ads unless they pay a minimum of .10c and again the focus should be more on brand recognition, sign ups will come from that too.