Marketing Checkpoint

How often to post and what about backlinks?

essentialsoflife

Since I haven’t been running my business for almost a year,  I have to practically start over.  Again. 

Over the past decade, I’ve spent thousands on courses to get my business going.  Most of them give the highlights and offer extras (for a lot more).  Though I've learned a lot, I’m still left with questions.

I know that the first thing I need to setup is my landing page and autoresponder messages.  Got it.

After that, what’s most important?  I have a very limited budget and seem to only be able to work on my business for 3-4 hours a day, so it is important to me to focus on the most productive things that I can.

I know that social media is a big thing right now and I have created a ton of images to share.  But, then, I heard that video is the way to go and I’ve got ideas on that too.  The thing about social media is that I never know if my posts are getting to my followers (especially on facebook).  I also know that you are supposed to share other’s work to give more interest to what you offer.  And provide more than just sell, sell, sell.  But, how often to post?  Post something original every day?  Share every day?  Twice a day?  I’ve seen some pages posting something six times a day… isn’t that a bit much? Or not? 

Another direction I’ve been wondering about… google changed things a bit with blog comments, but there are those that still encourage making comments on blogs.  I have made a list of nearly 200 blogs to make comments on.  I’ve only managed to get through about 30 on the list, with only 3 that have accepted my comments.  Is it worth making comments or is this a complete waste of time?

Forum discussion (like this one) is another direction… is it good for creating backlinks or not?  For being sociable? Or are forums really just another way to get side tracked?

Is it still a good idea to post articles on blog accounts like blogger, wordpress and tumblr for back links?

Yeah, I'm going in a hundred directions at once and could really use some advice (am I'm sure there are others wondering the same thing too)! :)

Receive our Introduction to Essential Oils series

My Blog: http://kindredspiritforhealthandhome.com 

Sharing Our Love for God & His Gift of Essential Oils

On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/use.essential.oils.daily/

I'm posting ads all the time. If I'm online, I posting ads.

The key is to advertise, advertise, and advertise...

BTW, I use ALL free advertising methods like:

• Viral Mailers
  • Adboards
  • Traffic Exchanges
  • FFAs
  • Safelists
  • Banner Ad Networks
  • Classifieds
  • And Etc...

Hi Diana  :)

Firstly I would say that 3-4 hrs/day is sufficient to grow your business.  I am assuming you are trying to grow your essential oils business...love the look of your site.

I would stick to social media, and videos if you can.  This allows you to reach a great amount of people targeted to what you have to say.  And while this method is generally free, have you considered a FB ad?  You could try to run one for just a few dollars and see if you get a response...I would start with $5.

You can spend all your time advertising on free sites, like Tommie suggested, but you are going to get a very low response from sites that are only frequented to advertise to others.

As for commenting on blogs, I'm puzzled as to why only 1/10 blogs approved your comments.  Just make sure to stay on topic and helpful.  Not sure how much traffic you will get but it is another free method so it could take a while to get a response for your work.  Same goes for forums, just make sure you are targeting sites that are within your niche.

You might also join a few (or several :D) FB Groups.  I'm sure other social sites have something comparable.

Remember people join other people, not programs.  The more value you provide, the more valuable you become.

You will be rewarded!

You can spend all your time advertising on free sites, like Tommie suggested, but you are going to get a very low response from sites that are only frequented to advertise to others.

Greg, The sites also sell Advertising if you're the type that like to buy, I prefer NOT to paid for advertising myself.

All REAL Top Marketers that I know use the following methods:

• Viral Mailers
  • Traffic Exchanges
  • Safelists
  • Banner Ad Networks
  • Classifieds
  • And Etc...

Greg, The sites also sell Advertising if you're the type that like to buy, I prefer NOT to paid for advertising myself.

All REAL Top Marketers that I know use the following methods:

• Viral Mailers
  • Traffic Exchanges
  • Safelists
  • Banner Ad Networks
  • Classifieds
  • And Etc...

I use them too but they also produce a low response rate compared to paid traffic sources.  Successful marketing is all about crafting your message to targeted people interested in what you have to say.  Free sources are far from targeted because you end up advertising to advertisers who have little interest in what you are selling.

As for "All REAL top markets"; are these marketers earning 5-figures/month without being the product owner?  What I have noticed that the majority of 'marketers' I have seen on TE/VM sites are advertising other traffic sites or the opportunity/product of the week (shiny object syndrome).

I'm not saying you can't build a business with these free ad sites, it just takes a long time to do it.

Thank you all for the encouragement! :)

I have learned that it takes 500-5000 views for mailers and exchanges for one subscriber (depending on the mailer and offer)... since I am promoting my essential oil business, I expect that the numbers will be even more. :blink:  I submitted my ad to 12 different mailers on Friday (50k potential) and have had less than 300 views (50 of those actually came from this forum  :o )  and zero subscribers.  I expected more around 2000 views and 1-4 subscribers.  Since I can only submit and ad once a week via this method, I can verify that it is going to take a very long time to get any where using this method.  :unsure: 

When I was promoting my fb page the beginning of last year, I was getting 5 likes a day, which was very encouraging, so I do plan on going back to doing that. (marketing really is only fun when you are getting some sort of response! ;) )  But, I am still confused about how often to post or share posts from other pages.

I will have to look into fb groups... the majority that I've seen in my niche don't appreciate people posting ads.

I do like the idea of trying a $5 fb ad - thanks for the idea! :)

As far as the blogs go... I have no idea what the deal is with the lack of acceptance.  I'm posting comments to recent articles that relate to the article and using my real name.  I guess I'll finish going through my list and see what happens.

Hi Diana  :)

Firstly I would say that 3-4 hrs/day is sufficient to grow your business.  I am assuming you are trying to grow your essential oils business...love the look of your site.

Thank you!  I've worked very hard on my sites and it is nice to know that someone appreciates how it looks (other than the family ;) )

You really do not want to spread yourself thin.  It's tempting, but not wise.  I've learned that when it comes to online marketing you want to focus on your best strategy (if not, your favorite).  I can tell that you know by know that it's easy to get overwhelmed with all the "expertise" out there.  Stick to one form, master it, absorb it, educate yourself in that realm, THEN add another strategy.  In fact...

Forum marketing could be that "one."

For example you can make that your focus.  And yes, backlinks in most forums will bode well for you. 

So will content....

Contrary to pop belief video isn't "the ideal" way to go.  If being on a camera, recording, editing, etc. is your thing then it will work well.  For those that don't have the resources to create content-driven video there is still hope.  This is because textual content STILL WORKS.

Folk still like to read...and some prefer it!  The trend, however, is making your text content visually appealing; this way they remain engaged. Think memes, images, or infographics.  If your blog is sharable it will get shared. 

The promotion of video marketing is misleading.  Yes, it works well but its not the end to all. 

Now I do understand your concern with having a tight budget.  The harsh reality is that at some point you must invest in premium advertising.

Make room in your budget for that type of advertising.  Its a wicked trade-off...either you spend your time on free advertising or you spend your money on the premium types.  Since the time of any man or woman is more valuable than currency, it's best that you at least purchase advertising little by little.  Besides, spend the money and you'll notice that you'll create more time to learn (or add on) a new marketing strategy

You can make it happen.  :)

You really do not want to spread yourself thin.  It's tempting, but not wise.  I've learned that when it comes to online marketing you want to focus on your best strategy (if not, your favorite).  I can tell that you know by know that it's easy to get overwhelmed with all the "expertise" out there.  Stick to one form, master it, absorb it, educate yourself in that realm, THEN add another strategy.  In fact...

Forum marketing could be that "one."

For example you can make that your focus.  And yes, backlinks in most forums will bode well for you. 

So will content....

Contrary to pop belief video isn't "the ideal" way to go.  If being on a camera, recording, editing, etc. is your thing then it will work well.  For those that don't have the resources to create content-driven video there is still hope.  This is because textual content STILL WORKS.

Folk still like to read...and some prefer it!  The trend, however, is making your text content visually appealing; this way they remain engaged. Think memes, images, or infographics.  If your blog is sharable it will get shared. 

The promotion of video marketing is misleading.  Yes, it works well but its not the end to all. 

Now I do understand your concern with having a tight budget.  The harsh reality is that at some point you must invest in premium advertising.

Make room in your budget for that type of advertising.  Its a wicked trade-off...either you spend your time on free advertising or you spend your money on the premium types.  Since the time of any man or woman is more valuable than currency, it's best that you at least purchase advertising little by little.  Besides, spend the money and you'll notice that you'll create more time to learn (or add on) a new marketing strategy

You can make it happen.  :)

Oh, wow!  Thank you!  You've given me much encouragement today! :)

Start with my favorite... you mean, I can still be "me"!  :wub:   That is so good to know!  The last "course" I took, they said that it doesn't matter what you like to do... you follow the customer trends... and, I truly hated it and ended up getting no where fast!

I have decided that I do really enjoy participating in a forum with like-minded people, so I'll try to find one in my niche that I'll enjoy.  Yep, you're right... could be my thing! :)

I'm glad to know that video is not the end-all that so many people say it is because I spent nearly a thousand dollars on video backgrounds, templates, images, audio, and programs a couple of years ago and found it to be very time-consuming and intimidating.  I'm sure that I'll make one from time to time, but I'll focus on building content for now and building my social fan base... Yay!  I have a plan that I can work with! :D

• 3 months later...

I'm not really sure how beneficial backlinking is now. One of the Google updates seem to weed out or penalize sites with too many backlinks (or gaining them too fast). I think they also penalize for sites that gain too many too fast. Where they drew the line is not clear. I realize this sounds a little vague, it was meant more as a caution regarding their use.

Free Video Chat Service! Get Connected And Stay Connected!

Click Here!

• 1 month later...

Hi Diana

I agree with Greg 3 - 4 hours per day is sufficient amount to work on your business, I like FB and LinkedIn, because its a great way to engage your potential customers, I use attraction marketing techniques rather than posting sales pitches all the time on my FB page.

People on FB and LinkedIn will buy from people they know, like and trust and Its real easy to get a couple of sales per day on FB and LinkedIn when you know how to engage your potential customers and qualify them. 

I mainly use value add update posts on my pages and let my fans know things like how to get customers through FB or LinkedIn 

Discover The Single Element That Took Me From Strugling Entrepreneur To Making A WHOPING $4500 In 7 Days!!

• NO PRODUCT
  • NO LIST
  • NO JV'S
  • and NO TRAFFIC.

Heres How I Did It!

Check It Out For Yourself Here !

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not really sure how beneficial backlinking is now. One of the Google updates seem to weed out or penalize sites with too many backlinks. I think they also penalize for sites that gain too many too fast. Where they drew the line is not clear. I realize this sounds a little vague, it was meant more as a caution regarding their use.

FREE! "How To Build The Most Powerful Backlink On The Planet"
My 100% free 4 part video training series will teach you the link building strategy behind the most competitive niches in SEO.

https://jvz9.com/c/861257/273247

You Will Learn...
  • What the most powerful type of backlink is & why it is the most powerful type of link
  • How to build backlinks that Google loves that will help increase authority and rankings
  • 5 INCREDIBLE SEO CASE STUDIES I will take you behind the scenes of 5 sites in competitive niche 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not really sure how beneficial backlinking is now. One of the Google updates seem to weed out or penalize sites with too many backlinks. I think they also penalize for sites that gain too many too fast. Where they drew the line is not clear. I realize this sounds a little vague, it was meant more as a caution regarding their use.

It is very depends of backlinks quality.

It is very depends of backlinks quality.

You are right. After doing a little research, I think Google was weeding out those sites that have massive numbers of "useless" backlinks. If I remember the issue correctly, there was a number of services that offered 1000's of backlinks to get higher rankings with Google. I think the update I was referring to penalized for that practice. I would like to mention something that may shed a little light on this subject: You can generate backlinks by doing something like what we are currently doing: posting in forums or in social networks. Unless that has been changed, that is still considered a valid form of getting backlinks.

As was mentioned above, Another way to get backlinks and potential viral advertising is to offer a free ebook and encourage your users to share it with others. Of course, this method requires that the info be useful to your readers.

Free Video Chat Service! Get Connected And Stay Connected!

Click Here!

You are right. After doing a little research, I think Google was weeding out those sites that have massive numbers of "useless" backlinks. If I remember the issue correctly, there was a number of services that offered 1000's of backlinks to get higher rankings with Google. I think the update I was referring to penalized for that practice. I would like to mention something that may shed a little light on this subject: You can generate backlinks by doing something like what we are currently doing: posting in forums or in social networks. Unless that has been changed, that is still considered a valid form of getting backlinks.

As was mentioned above, Another way to get backlinks and potential viral advertising is to offer a free ebook and encourage your users to share it with others. Of course, this method requires that the info be useful to your readers.

Also backlinks must be "dofollow". I have a list of sourses like forums and social networks you can have "dofollow" links from.

• 1 year later...