#1 Clare Bowen

Clare Bowen

Medium

• Bronze
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:17 AM

Sometimes when surfing on one site, I'll see different site identity icons in my browser. Sometimes they seem to match another site, owned by someone else.

For example, today I am surfing at a traffic exchange, and its site identity icon is the same as the usual one for Ant Surf.

I assume there is a reason (benefit) for doing this. Is it SEO related? Or?

Just curious if anyone knows because we have a WP site which allows a site identity icon.

Proud leader of the Team Synergy

banner-1485858209.png

#2 mrclean0325

mrclean0325

Medium

• Bronze
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationPA, USA

Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:49 AM

Depending on how the site was coded, your browser may just be using one from your cache that has the same file name as the other site. Clear your cache and see if it stays the same or changes. In other words they could have the same file name and the browser is using the one it already has instead of downloading the other one. Web browser do this to save you bandwidth and render the page faster.

If it stays the same, one site may have "borrowed" the image from the other site or used the same programmer and he got confused and put the wrong image. Of course they could be doing it on purpose as some people don't give a crap about someones intellectual property, but I try to go with the other options first... :D :lol: ;)

"Just because it quacks, don't make it a duck..."

Discover over 100 sites to make a bit of cash...

CLICK HERE TO CHECK IT OUT!

#3 Clare Bowen

Clare Bowen

Medium

• Bronze
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 29 March 2017 - 04:34 AM

oooh, lol, thank you   :)  There was one site that was doing it every few days with familiar icons, or maybe it was my browser as you say. Its not anymore though. It stopped doing that. And the one from yesterday disappeared not long after asking this question. Trust me to see any irregularity and let my curiosity run with it  :P 

Proud leader of the Team Synergy

banner-1485858209.png

#4 randomcash

randomcash

Gettin' Comfy

• Bronze
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:11 AM

Or they are probably using the same image. They googled for some favicon images and picked up the first one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users