#1 rpsmith

rpsmith

Medium

• Bronze
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:33 AM

Hi,

If you use safelists, I am posting this for you. There is a scam that is online where you (the intended victim) suddenly find yourself looking at an official looking webpage (It could look like it came from Microsoft or your Internet Provider) with a loud and repeating warning that your system has been infected with some sort of virus. Furthermore, it instructs you to call a number to have it removed.

DON'T CALL THAT NUMBER AND DON'T PANIC! It's all a scam! To clear the page and the annoying alarm hit the ESC key. To be on the safe side, You can log off and run your virus scanner just to make sure! (I can't emphasize the importance of keeping your virus scanners up to date).

It is important to remember that these pages are set up to get you to panic. To the uninformed, they are very effective.

The reason I post this is to warn everyone of these pages and what NOT to do. I ran across one a few days ago and then again two days ago when I was working through some ads in one of the safelists I belong to.

To Your Success!

Looking For Something? Find it at MylilMarketplace.com!
Or Place a Free 30 day Ad!

Click Here!

#2 captkirk

captkirk

Never Give in! and Never Quit!

• Moderators
  • 2,548 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:06 AM

Hi,

If you use safelists, I am posting this for you. There is a scam that is online where you (the intended victim) suddenly find yourself looking at an official looking webpage (It could look like it came from Microsoft or your Internet Provider) with a loud and repeating warning that your system has been infected with some sort of virus. Furthermore, it instructs you to call a number to have it removed.

DON'T CALL THAT NUMBER AND DON'T PANIC! It's all a scam! To clear the page and the annoying alarm hit the ESC key. To be on the safe side, You can log off and run your virus scanner just to make sure! (I can't emphasize the importance of keeping your virus scanners up to date).

It is important to remember that these pages are set up to get you to panic. To the uninformed, they are very effective.

The reason I post this is to warn everyone of these pages and what NOT to do. I ran across one a few days ago and then again two days ago when I was working through some ads in one of the safelists I belong to.

To Your Success!

Thanks for the warning! :)

#3 Clare Bowen

Clare Bowen

Medium

• Bronze
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 21 November 2017 - 01:44 AM

Wow, thanks a stack for the warning.

TM-banner468x60.gif

#4 Monika

Monika

Solid Ground

• Bronze
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 30 November 2017 - 05:53 AM

Thank you for the warning.

I too have gotten similar warnings a few months ago.

I always hit escape, then do a virus scan.

All the best to you.

SFI around the clock

banner167.gif

http://www.sfi4.com/17218189/REAL

#5 ckoch

ckoch

Gettin' Comfy

• Bronze
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 04:21 PM

most of the time if you use control alt delete you can close the browser and sometimes you can go in history and

delete the page.

I had to reset the browser once as a last resort.   I once emailed a company about these.  They said and I quote

those are just ads Claire.   Don't download or make any calls youll be ok.

haha not when my virus software comes up and warns me too.

how can they be just ads if they are tricking people and you can't x out of them?  For goodness sakes

getreadytobeamazed1.jpg

#6 Darren Olander

Darren Olander

Hot

• Administrators
  • 560 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:33 PM

Yea these are nasty, I've run across it before. Sometimes you can close the window really quick otherwise you are usually stuck with closing down your whole browser, they want you to think you are infected with a virus so that you will call their # and take your money. They may even try to get access to your computer when you call them for "tech support" so you would feel forced to pay them to clean up your computer. If you're running virus protection then most likely you are not infected and you just need to close the window. 

Anything like this should definitely be banned on any safelist, it is NOT ok!

Founder of Marketing Checkpoint

My Blog

#7 theFreeGuru

theFreeGuru

Gettin' Comfy

• Bronze
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationYuma Arizona

Posted 19 March 2018 - 11:33 PM

Warning!! Today there were at least 8 e-mails being circulated that warned of phishing codes in the e-mail itself via Google Gmail. If you use G-mail phishing e-mails have a red oval that warns when you click the e-mail that the code of the e-mail contains maliscious content used to steal your private data. Threee of the e-mails were related to quality leads and the 4th was for iCoinPro that I saw. I was on my phone at the time so I don't have a list of all the subjects.

Andy Zeus Anderson

Andy Zeus Anderson

High Conversion Traffic in a Traffic Exchange? No time wasters, just conversions focused surfing. Join our Traffic Pow Wow!! Tomahawk Traffic.

Help Wanted: Professional Marketers and People who want more from life than a Just Over Broke. Apply at SFI Advantage Advertising Cooperative.

#8 rpsmith

rpsmith

Medium

• Bronze
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 04:20 AM

I have seen those messages popping up in just about every safelist I belong to. (I.E quality leads subject line).

Click Here!

#9 Bruno Duarte

Bruno Duarte

Medium

• Bronze
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 22 March 2018 - 12:29 PM

didnt this messages used to pop now and then back in the late 90s?

Earn Direct Commissions While Building Your List! 

468-60.gif

Dont know what to promote to your list? Access the Offer Finder App for free today. Click Here

#10 Steve Man

Steve Man

Gettin' Comfy

• Bronze
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 31 March 2018 - 11:13 AM

Thank you for the warning.

To Your Sucess
Steve Man :D

Take your marketing to the next level with Referral Frenzy.

http://tinyurl.com/frenzy8048

#11 rpsmith

rpsmith

Medium

• Bronze
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:35 PM

Yea these are nasty, I've run across it before. Sometimes you can close the window really quick otherwise you are usually stuck with closing down your whole browser, they want you to think you are infected with a virus so that you will call their # and take your money. They may even try to get access to your computer when you call them for "tech support" so you would feel forced to pay them to clean up your computer. If you're running virus protection then most likely you are not infected and you just need to close the window. 

Anything like this should definitely be banned on any safelist, it is NOT ok!

Another point to mention about this scam is that their "tech support" may be either planting a virus or scanning your browser history to locate your financial information. One of the major tip offs to this is how fast their "scanner" does its scan. I have seen some really fast scanners, but nothing like theirs. Plus, if you look carefully, it does even have your disk files on it.

As a funny note, I saw some vids on youtube where hackers destroyed the "tech support" computers with viruses or even removing all of their OS files. You should have heard the reactions when the scammers finally figured out what had happened.

Click Here!

#12 rpsmith

rpsmith

Medium

• Bronze
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 05:21 AM

Hello all,

I wanted to update this thread and give an additional warning about this particular scam. A couple of days ago, I ran into an updated version of this scam. It went through the warning part, but then indicated that it would "lock down" my computer to "prevent further damage." I tried the ESC key and even tried to close the windows all to no avail. Given the issue of people having their computer files encrypted and destroyed by this form of Internet trash, I went to my last resort and emergency shut down my computer. On restart, I noted no issues outside of the standard boot up sequence. My scanner ran yesterday and gave no indication of any problems.

For all of this, i would like to offer a few tips: 1) Make backups of your important files and keep them seperate from your computer hard drive. 2) Keep your anti virus/anti malware, and firewalls updated. 3) If you run into this, take no chances. If you have to do the same thing I did, hit the power button fast.

To your success,

Ryan

Click Here!

#13 thegiant

thegiant

Breakin' Ground

• Bronze
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 06:54 AM

A lot of the people I work with are stumbling upon these, just web surfing like normal, luckily most of them know to ask me, before they do anything drastic like call the number.

Join me, and build your list, with the viral list builder ListOutbreak.

#14 PDFutral

PDFutral

Solid Ground

• Bronze
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:57 PM

My mom fell that and totally got screwed over they messed her comp up bad.  We had to take to a computer repair shop.  I told her when that stuff happens just leave the page.  She said she couldn't get off the page.  I said reboot it but don't believe this if it ever happens again.  200 dollars listen learned.  Glad it was only 200

Make money make money make money

http://bit.ly/2JVCqDK

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: safelist, marketing, scam, virus, phishing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users