#1 rpsmith

rpsmith

Medium

• Bronze
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:33 AM

Hi,

If you use safelists, I am posting this for you. There is a scam that is online where you (the intended victim) suddenly find yourself looking at an official looking webpage (It could look like it came from Microsoft or your Internet Provider) with a loud and repeating warning that your system has been infected with some sort of virus. Furthermore, it instructs you to call a number to have it removed.

DON'T CALL THAT NUMBER AND DON'T PANIC! It's all a scam! To clear the page and the annoying alarm hit the ESC key. To be on the safe side, You can log off and run your virus scanner just to make sure! (I can't emphasize the importance of keeping your virus scanners up to date).

It is important to remember that these pages are set up to get you to panic. To the uninformed, they are very effective.

The reason I post this is to warn everyone of these pages and what NOT to do. I ran across one a few days ago and then again two days ago when I was working through some ads in one of the safelists I belong to.

To Your Success!

Earn Big Money in Bitcoin! Let Us Show You How!

Click Here!

#2 captkirk

captkirk

Never Give in! and Never Quit!

• Moderators
  • 2,250 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:06 AM

Hi,

If you use safelists, I am posting this for you. There is a scam that is online where you (the intended victim) suddenly find yourself looking at an official looking webpage (It could look like it came from Microsoft or your Internet Provider) with a loud and repeating warning that your system has been infected with some sort of virus. Furthermore, it instructs you to call a number to have it removed.

DON'T CALL THAT NUMBER AND DON'T PANIC! It's all a scam! To clear the page and the annoying alarm hit the ESC key. To be on the safe side, You can log off and run your virus scanner just to make sure! (I can't emphasize the importance of keeping your virus scanners up to date).

It is important to remember that these pages are set up to get you to panic. To the uninformed, they are very effective.

The reason I post this is to warn everyone of these pages and what NOT to do. I ran across one a few days ago and then again two days ago when I was working through some ads in one of the safelists I belong to.

To Your Success!

Thanks for the warning! :)

#3 Clare Bowen

Clare Bowen

Medium

• Bronze
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 21 November 2017 - 01:44 AM

Wow, thanks a stack for the warning.

My New Mailer. Join Us!

harmonybanner.gif

#4 Monika

Monika

Solid Ground

• Bronze
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 30 November 2017 - 05:53 AM

Thank you for the warning.

I too have gotten similar warnings a few months ago.

I always hit escape, then do a virus scan.

All the best to you.

SFI around the clock

banner167.gif

http://www.sfi4.com/17218189/REAL

#5 ckoch

ckoch

Gettin' Comfy

• Bronze
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 04:21 PM

most of the time if you use control alt delete you can close the browser and sometimes you can go in history and

delete the page.

I had to reset the browser once as a last resort.   I once emailed a company about these.  They said and I quote

those are just ads Claire.   Don't download or make any calls youll be ok.

haha not when my virus software comes up and warns me too.

how can they be just ads if they are tricking people and you can't x out of them?  For goodness sakes

How to set up a page for free and my list of NO COST businesses

you work completely free.  Plus my free coaching.  Get in on this

you will NOT regret it.

-> CLICK HERE!

#6 Darren Olander

Darren Olander

Hot

• Administrators
  • 498 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:33 PM

Yea these are nasty, I've run across it before. Sometimes you can close the window really quick otherwise you are usually stuck with closing down your whole browser, they want you to think you are infected with a virus so that you will call their # and take your money. They may even try to get access to your computer when you call them for "tech support" so you would feel forced to pay them to clean up your computer. If you're running virus protection then most likely you are not infected and you just need to close the window. 

Anything like this should definitely be banned on any safelist, it is NOT ok!

Founder of Marketing Checkpoint

My Blog

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: safelist, marketing, scam, virus, phishing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users