Marketing Checkpoint

Are You Being Heard?

Communication is a funny business. When you speak with others, are you sure they hear what you are really saying?

While we may choose our words carefully, sometimes the message just doesn't get through. Our body language, tone, facial expressions make up what we call true communication.

Let's look closer at four simple steps that will help those we work with understand us better.

I submit that we, the sender of the message, must take responsibility for clear communication. We are in the place of choice. We choose the words, the medium, often even the timing of our communication. When I take responsibility for communicating clearly, I relieve you of the burden of interpretation.

Some say that communication is a two way street. Sometimes it can feel like a superhighway. Often it takes great care to make sure you don't get run over on the road of life. ;)

Take co-workers for example. Have you ever looked at the work you've assigned to an employee or co-worker and been frustrated that the time they spent (and you paid for) was wasted on something you didn't want at all?

To avoid this frustration, let's become proactive when we assign tasks, beginning with these four simple steps.

Before you lay out a task for a co-worker, lay it out for yourself. Write out the steps you want them to follow in an email or a memo, being sure that the explanation of each step is clear and in language they will understand. I.e.: don't talk sales speak to your accounting person.

Meet with them and give them a copy of the steps you have laid out. Having something in writing to refer back to as they work can save hours later - hours it would take to correct any misunderstandings.

Repeat and verify the steps in an email or memo after you meet with them. Few things are more sure that having matters is writing.

Last, ask them to repeat back to you what they are supposed to do. Do this carefully and casually as a part of the conversation. Don't make them feel ignorant. Say something like, "How do you see this working? I want to be sure that we are on the same page."

No matter how you choose to do it, take responsibility that what you said is what they heard. The more WE take this responsibility, the less confusion and fewer mistakes will ensue.

Rudi Vanhaecke
Bronze Team Leader SFI
Inrernet Marketing Professional

http://i41.tinypic.com/1zp626e.jpg

Waterstraat 59
8730 Beernem
Belgium
Europe

rudihomebusiness@gmail.com
Mobile: +32496292333
Phone: +3250791910

@instant_fortune..