Marketing Checkpoint

How to Increase Your Website’s Traffic Without Any Marketing

http://quicksprout.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/nomarketing.jpg

by NEIL PATEL

What if I told you that you can increase your traffic without any marketing? That’s right… even if you don’t have a marketing bone in your body, you can generate more traffic and sales.

“How?” you may ask. All you have to do is follow this long tail strategy:

Leveraging long tail SEO

Who doesn’t want to rank for terms like “credit cards” and “auto insurance,” right? Although those terms are lucrative, they are actually extremely difficult to rank for.

On the other hand, long tail keywords are much less competitive, and they will drive the majority of your traffic.

http://quicksprout.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/quicksproutseo.png

If you look at Quick Sprout, 91% of my search traffic comes from long tail phrases. And just like Quick Sprout’s, the majority of your search traffic comes from long tail traffic too.

This doesn’t mean that I don’t rank for any head terms. It just means that I rank for more long tail phrases. You probably experience the same thing as most sites rank for dozens of head terms and hundreds, if not thousands, of long tail terms.

How do you rank for more long tail terms?

First, you need to log into Google Webmaster Tools. Once you are in, you’ll want to click on “search traffic,” then “search queries.”

http://quicksprout.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/navigation.png

You’ll see a page with a list of keywords that looks like this:

http://quicksprout.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/keywords.png

The table will list all the keywords you rank for. What you need to do next is take the head keywords (phrases that contain one or two words) you rank for and type them into Google.

For example, I rank for the term “online marketing.” So I typed it into Google and then scrolled all the way to the bottom of the first page until I saw a table that showed “searches related to online marketing.”

http://quicksprout.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/relatedsearch.png

These are phrases that Google sees as relevant to a term you already rank for. And the head term is much harder to rank for than those long tail terms.

So if you blend some of those long tail phrases into the page that already ranks for the relevant head term, you’ll start getting more search traffic.

All I am doing is sprinkling in the phrases that make sense, two or three times within the page.

I used this strategy on a monthly basis on Quick Sprout in 2013. And the results were great.

In January 2013, I received 120,365 search visitors:

http://quicksprout.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/jan13.png

In December 2013, my search traffic climbed to 174,496 visitors:

http://quicksprout.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/dec13.png

Does this strategy still work?

Although I’ve used this strategy a couple of years ago on Quick Sprout, it still works. It doesn’t take a ton of time, and it is really easy…especially if you have a blog.

We do the same thing with our KISSmetrics and Crazy Egg blogs on a monthly basis. I would also continue to do it on Quick Sprout, but I just don’t have the time.

What I’ve found is that if you combine the tip I mentioned above with the marketing tactics in this blog post on increasing your click-through rate, you should be able to double your search traffic within one year.

Conclusion

You don’t have to know a lot about online marketing to generate traffic or sales. Simple things like adjusting the keywords within your content or tweaking the titles of your blog posts can increase your traffic.

If you are going to use the tactic above, don’t adjust your title tag too much unless you are trying to optimize your click-through rates. Instead, focus your efforts on optimizing the keywords within your content. By adding long tail phrases, you’ll generate more search traffic.

Are you going to give the strategy above a try?

Elygantthings website is down due to member abusive behavior. Please be patient as we are currently developing a new website coming in the near future. If you need to contact us. You may do so here

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

NO MARKETING ????

What is keyword research, market research and SEO then ?

I think You make the mistake of thinking that "posting ads" and "marketing" are synonyms.....

And to do this You FIRST NEED A SITE THAT IS ALREADY RANKED IN GOOGLE AND GETTING TRAFFIC

How do You get one there without marketing ?

Another problem is that Google will probably de-index You after a while because it will considder this "keyword spamming".

And the fact that You get more visitors doesnt necessarily mean your SEO got better... Maybe You are still as effective as a year before, only the amount of people searching these terms has doubled ??? Because the higher number of searches still equals the exact same percantage of your visitors. In other words, your traffic from email and social networks has grown by exactly the same amount as your search traffic...

And how much use do thesee additional visitors have for You ? If You loook at the list of related long-tails above for "online marketing" You will find "online marketing jobs, online marketing companies, online marketing institue".

I think that most people typing in these phrases are looking for something else than your beginners guide to marketing. So they might click on your link and You have an additional visitor. But most of the time they will quickly leave because your content isnt relevant to what they intended to find... In other words: How much did SALES increase from getting 45% more traffic?

You gotta be careful about adding keywords that do not really fit the focus of the searcher as google also measures how long people will stay on your site, how many pages they open on your site... etc. So bringing in a lot of traffic that leaves your site quickly because the content isnt really relevant to them can hurt your good rankings....

Some goot tips, however i still find that even with long tail it still takes time to get ranked and make money, I find email marketing is faster and you don't have to worry about pleasing Google all the time.

I am in agreement here. The SEO process means you make google and other search engines happy which means you learn to read someones mind and see what he/she thinks is important. With the Safelists and Traffic Exchanges you are showing what you have and they are deciding yes or no about what you are offering.

What this SEO process is like would be for markets (Safeway, KMart, Walmart, etc...) to decide to stop advertising as they do and for them to rely solely on the phone book or the yellow pages. Can you imagine what these stores would be like when that happens.

I don't know what it is like in your neighborhood but in mine I get ads from these stores a minimum of once a week and when I enter the stores they give me a set of ads. As a marketer I need to do the same. If it works for these big marketers it should also work for me. Look also at Coke and/or Pepsi they spend millions on marketing should I do any less.

The internet is a leveling environment where I can go head to head with these big marketers and carve out a peace of the market for me.

• 10 months later...

Enjoying your thought process everyone. Keep the comments coming. I see all of your points. So for the sake of arguing over a professionals discussion of one of many ways to market your business. I'm pretty sure the author was not implying that this was the only way to market/advertise your business. It's just one of many ways to strategize and accomplish certain goals. I posted this article because it's true and does work. But, it's just one of many techniques to get traffic to your website. And it's just coming from the point of view of using and maintaining a healthy website for Google's ever so often changing rules. 

Elygantthings website is down due to member abusive behavior. Please be patient as we are currently developing a new website coming in the near future. If you need to contact us. You may do so here

• 1 month later...