Marketing Checkpoint

Top Promoters Need Help Too...

captkirk

Gosh you guys are making me nostalgic. I remember back in the early '90s was my first attempt at an online business. I got the manual from a magazine ad. It was basically....selling a manual on how to sell stuff on BBS boards. I came across it again a few months ago cleaning out some junk and sorting trash from treasure. Star Trek was my favorite show when it was on regular TV, a long time ago. My affair with computers start a few decades before the '90s when I saw a stack of punch cards print out a Snoopy on his doghouse in letters. I also remember using an 8 baud (a 56K was 56,000 baud) modem. Man, now I feel OLD! :blink:

Remember the old magazine ads about the couple quietly making 1,000.00 a month at their kitchen table? And BTW--I remember that manual--but I have no idea what ever happened to my copy  :rolleyes: . And then there was making big money reproducing the information you get from the free pamphlets the Feral Gov't used to mail out of pueblo, Colorado.....And I do remember the 8 Baud modems as well. I still have a TI99-4A (with all the casette tapes full of BASIC programs) here in the house.

Those were the days, weren't they *sigh*.

And we ARE old--at least, I am. I cancelled my birthday years ago, due to lack of interest :P . 

Fortune Favors The Bold! http://fortunestraffic.com

Fortunes Traffic--for Zubees, Promos, Fun, and Traffic.

Interested in Hard Rock Gold Mining? Check Out My Other Half's You Tube Channel -- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbcYhenGjigBC5GgEjEANLQ

Guest mrclean0325

OMG!! YES! I remember and I almost forget about the "big money" reprinting that stuff. The first online public domain use for profit. People DID buy those though. They bought just about anything back then though since it was SO new and exciting. My first computers were ones I had to construct on a breadboard and program in binary - what a PITA! Just to have a glorified calculator which showed lights you had to then convert back into decimal to get the answer. Ah, the days of the trash 80...playing Bedlam and Zork until all hours of the night. I remember playing Dungeons of Daggeroth on a CoCo. The great amber and green displays! Spending HOURS programming in BASIC and debugging. The Newton and Palm which were FAR ahead of their time and still had features you don't see even today on the best smart phone. I actually have a few lurking around the house somewhere. My wife is the only person I know who can crash a Palm. She did it quite regularly, so she does all of my "testing" lol

Phreak boxes and "War Games" stuff. BBS tagging and just goofing around. Back then being a "hacker" wasn't a bad thing since most of what we have today is from those pioneering souls trying to figure out "what if". I remember spending days to get Doom working on multiplayer through serial. I LOVED my Apple IIC! Then there were the games system/computers like the Atari 400 and 800. The best game system ever made (in my opinion) was the NeoGeo/3DO system, great and fun games. Oh, and not to forget the Amiga, what a system and OS.

Ah, the good old days to a old geezer geek like me.

I made quite a lot of money in the service end in those days. Fixing electronics was VERY profitable. A few cents in parts and a little time and you charged a HUGE hourly rate. I made quite the haul installing antenna and C band systems in the day. It was a sad day when the price dropped on everything, when a VCR (a what?) went from $600 to around $89 overnight it seemed. We were forced to close our repair shops soon after that since there was little money in it anymore.

Anyway, I think i will use my walker and toddle on... :rolleyes:

OMG!! YES! I remember and I almost forget about the "big money" reprinting that stuff. The first online public domain use for profit. People DID buy those though. They bought just about anything back then though since it was SO new and exciting. My first computers were ones I had to construct on a breadboard and program in binary - what a PITA! Just to have a glorified calculator which showed lights you had to then convert back into decimal to get the answer. Ah, the days of the trash 80...playing Bedlam and Zork until all hours of the night. I remember playing Dungeons of Daggeroth on a CoCo. The great amber and green displays! Spending HOURS programming in BASIC and debugging. The Newton and Palm which were FAR ahead of their time and still had features you don't see even today on the best smart phone. I actually have a few lurking around the house somewhere. My wife is the only person I know who can crash a Palm. She did it quite regularly, so she does all of my "testing" lol

Phreak boxes and "War Games" stuff. BBS tagging and just goofing around. Back then being a "hacker" wasn't a bad thing since most of what we have today is from those pioneering souls trying to figure out "what if". I remember spending days to get Doom working on multiplayer through serial. I LOVED my Apple IIC! Then there were the games system/computers like the Atari 400 and 800. The best game system ever made (in my opinion) was the NeoGeo/3DO system, great and fun games. Oh, and not to forget the Amiga, what a system and OS.

Ah, the good old days to a old geezer geek like me.

I made quite a lot of money in the service end in those days. Fixing electronics was VERY profitable. A few cents in parts and a little time and you charged a HUGE hourly rate. I made quite the haul installing antenna and C band systems in the day. It was a sad day when the price dropped on everything, when a VCR (a what?) went from $600 to around $89 overnight it seemed. We were forced to close our repair shops soon after that since there was little money in it anymore.

Anyway, I think i will use my walker and toddle on... :rolleyes:

Those were the days-- I still have me old Sega Master system--love playing Cloud Master, Space Harrier, Phantasy Star LOL.  Every once in a while I fire up the TI99 and go through some of the BASIC programs I wrote back in the day just for fun. That was the only programming I ever did, though I may have to bite the bullet and take a course on PhP, as I have some mods and games I want built for my TE, but all the programmers with good reputations are booked solid until the end of time. It's crazy....

I miss all the free gov't pamphlets from Pueblo--they charge for everything now and have a much smaller selection than in days gone by. Typical Feral gov't, when something is actually worth doing and useful, they get rid of it LOL.

I currently am listening to some Glenn Miller--on my turntable. Vinyl. 33 1/3rd to be exact  :P . I treat myself to vinyl every once in a while.....

Interested in Hard Rock Gold Mining? Check Out My Other Half's You Tube Channel -- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbcYhenGjigBC5GgEjEANLQ

Guest mrclean0325

Funny, I found a lot of old vinyl when cleaning up our back rooms. Don't have a turntable anymore though. I still prefer the sound of vinyl and an old tube amplifier any day. I enjoyed programming in BASIC and still have a few books full of BASIC programs. I remember being SO excited to finally get my Timex Sinclair kit build with a whopping 16K of RAM and used a TV instead of a monitor which had one key BASIC commands...sweet! Saving all the programs to the old cassette tapes. Then hope the stupid thing didn't eat them later...or save over something important accidentally.

I couldn't live without a good turn table and an old tube stereo system, personally. But then again, I also have the kitchen clock that is a cat with a waving tail for a pendulum, the one that looks suspiciously like Felix the Cat LOL. No CD or digital recording can get that special mellow depth of tone you get with vinyl, just like my 300.00 digital SLR still can't take a picture that equals my Pentax K-1000 with Kodak professional film. But on that one, Kodak is wrong--their new pro film STILL doesn't match Kodachrome.

I'll take old tech, low tech, and no-tech at all opportunities. yes, my working computers are all custom builds, with the newest, fastest, most robust components regardless of price. But old school still has a place in the world as far as I am concerned, at least in most areas  :)

I understand. It just us old crones here... :)

I'll behave after this, I promise.... :rolleyes: .

That don't sound like any fun... LOL

Well, that depends on how you define "behave"...wouldn't you agree?  :ph34r: