Over the past couple years I've, personally, listened to/watched hundreds of hours of audios, videos, lectures, presentations, pitches, opportunities, demos, and discussions. It seems like I've heard and/or seen it all, but I'm constantly learning.
The talent I've come across is incredible, even meeting rocket scientists for one-on-one discussions. Yup, one guy literally worked for Nasa. ...you don't get those opportunities often!
Among all that I've had the pleasure of experiencing is a clear message; there are multiple personas important to an entrepreneur, all with different values.
Essentially, here's how I view such personas:
- Friends - We like each other and/or don't have any reason not to like one another
- Customers - You appreciate the value offered through one or more of my products/services
- Partners - You like to share my products/services and/or want to work together
- Educators - You've helped me learn, grow, and impacted my knowledge
- Competitors - You're in a similar business targeting the same prospects
- Enemies - You've deliberately accomplished losing my respect, blatantly mimicked my product/service, spread lies about me or misrepresented facts for your gain, acted in malicious behavior (directly, indirectly), acted unethical...
Here's the deal, to me YOU fall in at least one of those personas...but I simply might not know which one, yet.
Of course to fall under the 6th persona, you've probably done the same to others as well. Here's the good news, it's rather easy to fall under personas 1-5; do good!
The internet is a breeding ground for evil, unfortunately not a controllable activity. We all have ideas and dreams to pursue - it's up to you to execute. Follow your path, be who you ARE instead of who you WANT to be, and you'll be far more successful.
Focus on being one or more of the first 5 personas listed above. And just to clarify, you can have tons of competitors, but that's just the nature of being in business. And, it should drive you to improve your business, keeping ahead of your competitors.
Make friends, earn customers, find partners, learn from educators, and grow from competitors. Have a blast being who you are!