Marketing Checkpoint

WORDS MATTER

That term has been in the news so much lately and I was just reading someone's ad where they used the word "urgent".  Since they were trying to sell something they used the word "urgent" to get me to act now and buy from them.  I get that.  But, it bothers me.  The word "urgent" is a very powerful word.  I think it should be used  in grave situations, e.g.  you come across someone passed out on the street and they have a weak pulse. So, if I was the one who came across this individual, I would think it was urgent to call 911 right away.  Does this bother anyone else?  Maybe instead of WORDS MATTER I should have called this PET PEEVES  :)

There are two ways to face the future. One way is
with apprehension; the other is with anticipation  .

Guest mrclean0325

The one I hate is when someone changes the definition of a word in their sales copy and you don't realize it until much later or after you buy the product and try to implement it. To preface the example; I am not into social media. It does have a place but I just don't have the time to get into the ins and outs to make it work. So I avoid any and all products having to do with using social media. I am also not into AdSense and a few other things I try to avoid products on since they don't interest me.

An example from a bit ago, I read an ad for what sounded like a great product about getting leads and tons of them. It was recommended from a reputable source and promised NO social media used and listed all of the popular social media sites with a large NO in front of them. It was "something NEVER seen or done before" type thing. The ad strongly inferred there was no use of social media since it stated so in the ad and gave bad examples of trying to use Facebook, Twitter, and a few others. After purchasing it (not a cheap date either) and then having some delivery hassles and other weird stuff, you know what it was about?

Getting leads from LinkedIn.

So going back over the sales page, yes they didn't list it as one of the many social media sites in the "NO" section. They didn't define LinkedIn as a social media site but a "business network". Of course the refund was one of the "you do exactly as we say for 30 days and if it doesn't work we will refund you" type. Re-reading the sales copy several times, they did not "lie" according to their definition of what they defined LinkedIn as. I ;however, was not a happy camper.

There have only been a few products like this that got me over the years. In each case, they used a different definition of some words (not the standard one everyone thinks of when they are used) that led one to believe something else to get the sale. Like the ones that say "no cost" assuming you already have high volume hosting, optimize press, autoresponders, leadpages, a list of 10,000 already, or other services and are using them already which is why there is no cost. The people who do this still tick me off.

Guest mrclean0325

Or the timers that are still running years past when they were supposed to stop and the deal go away. and whoever the seller is didn't even bother (or have a script at least make it correct for later) to change the stop date on the page. Or the timer is running the same countdown every time you see the page. (like in some mailers and TE page ads we see) If they will lie to you right off the bat with a "fake" deadline - why trust them with your money?