Marketing Checkpoint

Building Your Social Media Authority

There are many ways that you can attract people to your website or blog, but many of these ways are out of your control, except for social media.

Search Engine Optimization is obviously important, but it is a game of chance as you never really know how or when the search engines will crawl your site. Word of mouth is a great way to gain exposure, but it is not something within your control. Social media can be controlled if you are prepared to put in some time and a little bit of effort, it is possible to build a large social media presence in a short amount of time.

What Many People Do Not Understand About Social Media

When it comes to social media there are no new fancy tricks to learn, social media is all about engendering interaction.

Using social media is about compelling people consistently to engage with you and then share your content.

This is the main purpose of social media and it applies across every network. There is no secret formula necessary in order to become a social media success story, all you need is compelling human interaction.

What does compelling human interaction mean?

The exact definition depends on your website or blog, but generally speaking it means that you want to involve people in a conversation that is related to your topic. It is really nothing more complicated than this.

It is not really complicated. The key to social media is being social.

By pure definition, social media should be a two way street. If someone is commenting on your posts, take the time to comment back. You should be having conversations with the people who are following you.

Many social media enthusiasts are simply obsessed with the number of followers or likes that they get on their posts as much as they are with the amount of traffic their website or blog receives. In reality, these numbers do not have much to do with the true metrics of being successful.

Instead of focusing solely on the number of new likes that you get, you should focus on the number of people who are commenting on and then sharing your content. This is the true measure of engagement. When more people are engaging with your content the more likely they are to share it, which will increase your exposure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I agree, but I think it's also important to have an element of automation. The social media platform I mainly use is Twitter, and although I think personal interaction is important, like any other aspect of marketing automation makes things easier.

I use paper.li to automatically post curated content several times a day, content it would take me hours and hours of continuously trawling blogs around the internet to put together.

I also use a really useful tool called Crowdfire to manage my following and, again, to curate and post useful articles and graphics.

These two tools fill out my Twitter with valuable content throughout the day, even on days when I'm too busy to tweet, and save me time when it comes to following and unfollowing relevant people.

I can then concentrate on other specific tweets and personal conversations.

• 2 weeks later...

Of course, they key to going viral, using social media is producing content that people are willing to share.

Or simply engineer or be lucky enough to catch an event that is so unique that people are compelled to share such as shocking or awe inducing like a prank, or traumatic event Even a rare occurrence like a natural disaster or someone being hit by a car.

That last example is a bit dark but simply a representation of how many people become famous on social media, by accidentally being in the right place at the right time.

The third method, that I choose to follow, is consistently producing a large volume of branded content, that will steadily build views over time with a subscriber/follower base that is search engine optimized or based on trending topics.

There's my oversimplified view of social media. My focus is Youtube. I've had 10+ channels, with 5 active right now.

Webinar Reveals how to be Coached<p>by a #1 Vendor/AffiliateWebinar Access

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...