Marketing Checkpoint

Building Customer Relationships

Matt Koshko

We should be treating customers, whether they have bought something or not, like our significant other. It's easier than ever for an unhappy customer to leave you for someone else, whether it's your training, an advertising service, or some web-based software application. Nurturing customers is essential - send them love, they'll stick around.

What are some practices you follow to build those relationships?

When a customer cancels paying for your product/service, how do you handle it? Any follow-up?

Is there particular tools you use to nurture such relationships?

Hustle. Do everything in your power to reach beyond your goals.

Guest Paul Nulty

We should be treating customers, whether they have bought something or not, like our significant other. It's easier than ever for an unhappy customer to leave you for someone else, whether it's your training, an advertising service, or some web-based software application. Nurturing customers is essential - send them love, they'll stick around.

What are some practices you follow to build those relationships?

When a customer cancels paying for your product/service, how do you handle it? Any follow-up?

Is there particular tools you use to nurture such relationships?

I have yet to experience dealing with that subject in my own business however I do have experience as an employee with some of the larger most successful companies in the U.K . and Europe. Showing appreciation on any level always goes down well. I would suggest getting it right from the start. 1. know your customer, 2. Send out a direct mail shot (snail mail) the old fashoined way. If they have been inactive or have not shown any interest for a while maybe send out a mail shot with your latest and greatest offer telling them that they are a valued customer and to get in touch if there is anything more that you can do for them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Customer service is the key tovbuilding good

relationships in yourvmembership sites. Nothing

ticksva membervofvworse than a grumpy response

or no reply at all.

Whether its a complaint or praise, we respond in a

professional manner addressing them as professional

marketers.

As for canceled subscriptions, I use an autoresponder

to follow up within a couple days. It makes sure nothing

is wrong and asks if we can do anything to help. Of course

if they respond we address their situation. The script then

follows up within a month with a counter offer to reearn their

business.

DA

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest Paul Nulty

I think the follow up process is really important, especially with online business, auto responder messages are great and a valuable tool to have, but from my experience, telephone or skype calls are more personal and delivers a more real presence it also shows genuine interest. Make real connections with people, prospects and existing customers.

• 1 year later...

Thanks everyone.  From reading the posts in this discussion, I believe that the key point that has been made is for the marketer to look at the long term and be the kind of person that the customer wants to continue doing business with.  Life happens...and there are issues that come up with everyone that sometimes derails things for a bit.