Marketing Checkpoint

Popups in traffic exchanges?

I find that many lists will allow one, and one only.  I don't mind them so much, as I know it's all part of the game.  What I don't like is lists like GOT Safelist who puts their own exit pop into every single ad.  Even if the advertiser doesn't have one, GOT puts one in anyway.  So not only do I have to click an icon to validate, I also have to click an exit pop.

Taking another kick at the can, because I can.

I'm with you. I don't like pop-ups at all.  I would love to go directly to the site I am expecting to see.  I do understand that the admin an advertisers want to maximize their ROI.

There are two ways to face the future. One way is
with apprehension; the other is with anticipation  .

I find that many lists will allow one, and one only.  I don't mind them so much, as I know it's all part of the game.  What I don't like is lists like GOT Safelist who puts their own exit pop into every single ad.  Even if the advertiser doesn't have one, GOT puts one in anyway.  So not only do I have to click an icon to validate, I also have to click an exit pop.

Thanks... I didn't know GOT Safelist did that :o

Founder of Marketing Checkpoint

My Blog

Exit pop-ups are a mark of desperation - if you can't sell your product/service with your main sales page, either it's a product/service that nobody wants or it's a badly-designed sales page...

I think in the early days of exit pops that may have been true, and likely still true for a small percentage of marketers.  These days they exist because it's "the thing to do", a bit of a fad in my opinion. Everybody is doing them, and so many experienced marketers are preaching them that the newcomers trust that it's a good idea.  Exit pops are also a near-necessity to lead people into upsells.

That being said, I probably will never use them.  If I do, there'd have to be an awfully good reason (and not because the product isn't good ;) )

Taking another kick at the can, because I can.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe they can be effective, probably not as much as they once were, but I think they can be used as like an "OTO" to get someone's attention and create urgency..

As far as Traffic Exchanges.. most I don't think allow them, or will allow one.

On my sites I have them not allowed according to my terms, however I generally will approve them, and only remove them if there is a complaint.. but I mean at my most popular traffic exchange there are generally 3,000-4,000 ads in the system and about 5,000 unique surfers so when someone has an ad that has an exit pop-up, as long as it doesn't happen all the time, it won't reach most people frequently enough to even be an issue - so I let a lot of that stuff slide.

• 1 year later...
Guest mrclean0325

I absolutely cannot stand the exit popup. I do remember them when I see them while surfing and make a note to NOT join that program or get the product. And if a TE I surf has too many of them - I consider 5% of the pages surfed excessive - I no longer use that site.

I would have to agree. I mean I saw your ad and now you want to disrupt my surf to have to click your cancel button? It is just as annoying as framebreakers, dead sites, or error pages to me. A traffic site with too many "bad" extras is one I will avoid. If the owner doesn't care about my surfing experience on their site, i will look elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Popups do serve a purpose when used correctly but have no place in a traffic exchange.

I surf to earn credits so I may show my site(s) and will only stop if something catches my attention

(or frame breakers, whose frequency seems to be increasing of late).  If I didn't stop, I wasn't

interested, and throwing up a popup only wastes both of our time because the likelihood of that

popup's success is extremely low.