Marketing Checkpoint

Expired credit links before their time?

I've come across 30 or more credit emails tonight that have expired well before the 96-hour expiry time.

It is currently June 20th, and at 11:43pm local time I opened a credit mail that was received June 17th at 4:53am local time. It was flagged as expired, even though 96 hours has not passed.

This same problem occurred a couple weeks ago when using Viral Inbox, so I changed over to Gmail but it's happening again.

Is this a time zone problem?  If so, is there not a way to have credit links expire according to the person's local time zone?

Taking another kick at the can, because I can.

A couple people have complained about this on my sites I must admit.. I'll have a chat with my programmer to see what we can do about it, but yea it's based on server time when the message was sent. The problem is in how much data you are storing, that's a lot of messages to store so you want to delete those from the database eventually.. the volume and amount of time you can hold on to that much data without slowing down the database (you know how the timer

reaches 0 on some sites but you have to wait for it to do anything? It's probably because their db is getting large and clunky) is the question.. so it's a technical hurdle. 

Founder of Marketing Checkpoint

My Blog

Thanks, Darren.  I do try to get to these mails well before the expiry, but it's not always possible.  Up very late tonight cramming in some much needed credits on a number of lists. :)

Taking another kick at the can, because I can.

I have experienced this with some emails which were less than 24 hrs old. I think this is a problem caused by something other than the server. I have seen some emails which stop the timer and end up causing the credit process to be aborted. I think we have some people sending emails this way on purpose so that you will look closer at their message. Like the pop-behind which runs for over 12 clicks I think these are done on purpose. I just wish we could get to the guilty party and stop them.