Marketing Checkpoint

An Entrepreneur

Matt Koshko

Being an entrepreneur is more than just being an entrepreneur. You've got to have it in your blood, living it every day...whether it's online marketing or going door-to-door selling pine tree saplings. If you were to bleed, I'd better see it in your blood.

I've noticed over the course of the recent few years every 3rd person I meet is some kind of "entrepreneur". Just because you sold a digital product doesn't inadvertently make you an entrepreneur. There must be risk involved, serious skin in the game, an alignment of gathering and compiling resources, and having pulling together a business.

If you were to pull back the curtains and tell me you have a business, could you answer it in 1 sentence?

Entrepreneurship isn't for everyone. We are all sales people but we're not all entrepreneurs.

Hustle. Do everything in your power to reach beyond your goals.

Tell me about it.  But don't get me started!    Children learn what they live.  In most households that means go to school, listen to your teachers, get the highest paying job possible and listen to your boss so you won't get your hours cut, get layed off or fired. 

No wonder nobody learns how to think for themselves with all that listening going on.  What happens when you don't teach a kid how to think and he/she forgets his/her lunch money or homework?  Mom gets a call and has to drive across town to make the delivery, wasting gas and time, hoping nobody saw the car hit the dog as she raced back to work watching for cops as she skids back into her parking place hoping someone left something in the lunch room to eat.   

Thinking kids will borrow money from the lunch lady, custodian, teacher or share their friends lunch before they go hungry. Homework that doesn't get delivered rarely, if ever gets forgotten.   Talented, creative kids grow up thinking they're not because all they get told is go learn to do what makes the most money when happiness is the key to making the most money.   Show me an unhappy worker and I'll show you mediocre work and a paltry paycheck every time.  Nobody is happy doing work they have no talent for.  Learning to do something for the promise of big money is almost impossible and not worth the effort for the amount of time it takes just to become okay but never the expert.  

JOB=Just Over Broke but it doesn't have to if the reason you go to work everyday isn't because you're buried in bills, babies and bad choices. I think the biggest problem lies within the mindset of all the "employees" flocking to the internet thinking they will be able to either make extra money or get rich quick.  Everyone is doing it so it must be easy when in reality nobody wants to admit they're broke [losers] so they pretend to be successful [winners]. Fake it until you make it is almost synonymous with the internet.

I've yet to see any CEO's or offline Business owners interested in anything online except how can it benefit their business and is it even worth the trouble. It's just another distribution channel with one difference.  They can't control it so it's not their main concern anyway.  Control must be total or it's useless to most of them.  

• 7 months later...

Matt, I'm sorry to disagree; you don't have to got it in your blood... 

But you could have been introduced to it by previous experiences. 

I mean, it could be a learning curve:

you start at school + high school (+ university), where all is theory... 

then you learn about real world in your first J.O.B. experiences. 

It is precisely in this moment when you can get infected by 

entrepreneurship virus... OR take another course of action:

postgrade studies, a radical profession change, or some other option. 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

thriftgirl62, I think a lot of people could be happy doing work 

they have no talent for, if they just enjoy it... 

You could have absolutely no talent for it, BUT enjoying it anyway. 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

To both of you (as well as all readers): 

Do you think is talent, passion or focus the real key?

• 1 month later...

Let me but in here. I think life is too short to end up doing something that you do not enjoy. Work has to be fun. I gave up the stress of consultancy for lecturing in a university and have never looked back. I just love to see it when something that I say producing the "penny's dropped" moment. You can see it in their eyes.

So, get out of that job you just hate and do something you love...

The man has spoken (smile).

• 3 weeks later...

Matt, I'm sorry to disagree; you don't have to got it in your blood... 

But you could have been introduced to it by previous experiences.

I'm not saying you have to be born with entrepreneurship. Instead I mean it should be part of your heart beat, that you feel it living inside you with passion.

To both of you (as well as all readers): 

Do you think is talent, passion or focus the real key?

Depends what you mean by "key". I'd say passion, focus, talent...in that order, talent being last because you can always learn and improve. Focus is a matter of discipline that *really* comes down to the level of passion. If you're passionate about your subject matter, you'll have no problem focusing. Facebook is only a distraction if you find it more worthy of your time.

Hustle. Do everything in your power to reach beyond your goals.

• 2 months later...

God created us and he has given each and everyone oo us ten talents, If we do not use them we

lose them.

The fact is some may be good at all ten talents and some may be good at a few of them then some

may only be good at one, we are not all born to be entreprenuers, just all are not born to be doctors.

Yes, what ever talents that we truly put our heart and soul into, we then become, such as, entreprenuer,

doctors, lawyers and so on.